MR TIEW HAN, Neurosurgeon takes his obligations under the Victorian Health Records Act 2001 and the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 seriously and would like to take all reasonable steps in order to comply and protect the privacy of the personal information that we hold.
This policy sets out how we intend to do so.
Collection of Information
MR TIEW HAN, Neurosurgeon collects and holds personal health information about you.
MR TIEW HAN, Neurosurgeon collects information from you so that he may properly assess, diagnose, treat and be proactive in your health care needs.
All members of the professional team involved in your care will have access to your personal information.
This means we may use and disclose the information you provide in the following ways:
- Disclosure to others involved in your health care, including treating doctors, pathology services, radiology services and other specialists outside this medical practice. This may occur through referral to other doctors, or for medical tests and in the reports or results returned to us following the referrals.
- Disclosure to enable recording on medical registers (example the diabetes register or pap smear register).
- Administrative purposes in running our medical practice, including our insurer or medical indemnity provider, and quality assurance and accreditation bodies.
- Billing purposes, including providing information to your health insurance fund, the Health Insurance Commission (Medicare) and other organisations responsible for the financial aspects of your care (example WorkCover insurance companies).
- Conducting research.
- Assisting with training and education of other health professionals.
In most cases we will obtain the information directly from you or your treating Doctors.
Our goal is to ensure that your information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. To assist us with this, please contact us if any of the details you have provided us change. Further, if you believe that the information we have about you is not accurate, complete or up-to-date, contact us and we will use all reasonable efforts to correct the information.
We will take all reasonable steps to protect the security of the personal information that we hold. This includes appropriate measures to protect electronic materials and materials stored and generated in hard copy.
Access to your personal information
Access will be provided in accordance with our Access Policy. If you require access to your personal information please contact the main rooms.
We do not contract out data storage or processing functions.
Legal reasons why we collect the personal information
Some information we collect is in order to comply with our legal obligations (eg mandatory reporting or accreditation requirements).
What happens if you choose not to provide the information?
You are not obliged to give us your personal information. However, if you choose not to provide MR TIEW HAN, Neurosurgeon with your personal details, we may not be able to provide you with the full range of our services.
Treatment of Children
The rights of children to the privacy of their health information, based on the professional judgement of the doctor and consistent with law, might restrict access to the child’s information by parents or guardians.
If you have any complaints about our privacy practices or wish to make a complaint about how your personal information is managed please contact the main rooms. All complaints will be dealt with fairly and as quickly as possible.
A privacy complaint relates to any concern or dispute that you have with our privacy practices as it relates to your personal information. This could include matters such as how personal information is collected, stored, used disclosed or how access is provided.
We prefer that your complaint is in writing.
If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of our handling of your complaint you may contact the Victorian Health Services Commissioner or the Federal Privacy Commissioner.